The mission of NuTek Salt is to help create great-tasting and affordable food that enhances global health and wellness. The company strives to grow its business by being great partners to the global food system, with innovative products for food manufacturers, food retailers, and restaurant chains. NuTek Salt delivers improved nutrition through unprecedented levels of sodium reduction in food, replacing it with potassium, a necessary and often under-consumed nutrient; all while maintaining great taste, affordability, and ease of use. Our salts are naturally sourced and through a proprietary process have achieved successful sodium reduction in excess of 50% in many foods (eighteen patents issued or pending).
Funded in part by an investment from Khosla Ventures. Offices in Omaha, NE, Minneapolis, MN, and Washington, DC. Fast Company highlighted the company as one of just a few companies that Bill Gates recognized as “Shaping the Future of Food.” You can find further information at www.nuteksalt.com.
- Created in 2008 to commercialize salt replacement technology.
- Commercial production in 2009.
- Commercial sales in branded food products in 2010.
- Sales growth in 2011.
- Significant capital raised through Khosla Ventures in 2012.
Why a salt replacer?
- Salt consumption is associated with high blood pressure.
- Average U.S. and U.K. consumer eats more than 4,000 mg of sodium each day (RDA 2,400 mg).
- 75 percent of a consumer’s sodium intake comes from prepared foods.
- 8 billion pounds of salt consumed per year.
- World health organizations recommend a 40 percent reduction in salt intake.
- Salt replacer market potential is hundreds of millions of pounds.